caged birdies

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Happy Happy!

Today, my maternal grandmother turns 90 years old. It's such a happy day for us. Mom Mom has been a constant steady in my life when things were not always as they should be. I can't say that Mom Mom did anything extraordinarily different than any other grandparent would do for their grandchildren. But for some reason, Mom Mom and I had a connection that has been there for as long as I can remember. She was, from my earliest childhood memories, unconditionally there for me. From her, I learned unconditional love.

We had so much fun together when I spent the weekend at her house that I would ask to spend the weekend at her house every week. We cooked, sewed and played games and my brother and I were spoiled rotten. But it wasn't about being spoiled (though what child wouldn't love that?). I can't accurately explain why, but there was something special about Mom Mom and me. She wasn't just my grandmother, she was a friend.

I remember one weekend, while I was watching her cook my favorite dinner, she said to me 'When you get older, you're not going to want to come spend the weekend with me anymore.' I remember telling her that I will always call to spend the weekend, that it couldn't imagine not. As I got older and started going to sleep-overs, having my own things to do with school and friends then dating; I still always found my way back to Mom Mom and Pop Pops house for the weekend.

When I went to College, it was the weekly letters from Mom Mom that kept me going. I always looked forward to walking to my mail box in Gordinier's student Post Office. There was always $2 'for gum' and some stamps; a reminder that I needed to write home and tell her all about my college experience. And when I met my husband, it was Mom Mom who knew that he was the one. As we were preparing dinner one night she told me 'when you marry Eddie, your initials will spell ASS.' I had only been dating Eddie for several months at the time, but when she knew, I knew that I had met someone special. After all, it was her approval that mattered the most.

As Mom Mom has gotten older our roles have reversed. It's my house that she's spent the weekend at. I'm the one taking care of her, helping her with tasks around the house. Now I get to cook for her and spoil her rotten. And nothing has changed in our relationship. I still know that I can talk to Mom Mom about anything. I know that above all, Mom Mom loves me unconditionally.

So as I'm getting ready to walk out the door to head to her celebratory dinner, I go remembering a conversation we had a few months ago. One day, after spending the day with Mom Mom, as Eddie and I were walking out the door, she pulled me in for a hug and said 'You two are my best friends.' And she's right. We are and I wouldn't change that for anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment