caged birdies

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Weekend Update

It's been awhile since my last post. I've just been kinda sitting back and letting everything sit in and get situated before I posted. And I'm not sure if I've quite digested everything because it was a lot in one weekend. I guess I'll start at the beginning, it's always the best place to start anyways. . .

We all know I wrote my dad a letter that was 16 years in the making. I said things that I wasn't able to say for whatever reason there was at the time. As soon as my dad got the letter he called (time frame: letter goes into mail in PA on Sunday arrives in NY Wed) and by Thursday we had made plans for dad to stay at my house for the weekend.

It was a lot to absorb in a quick amount of time. I shouldn't have questioned that he wasn't going to react as quickly as he did, and I'm glad he did. Talking when things are fresh in your head is a good thing. I think had we waited any longer what was important and what was on my mind at that time would have been forgotten or put into my memory for another time.

Again, I find myself unable to put into words the exact feeling I'm feeling. What I learned was that both my dad and I tend to just wait for things to happen rather than acting/reacting right away. We both tend to take the path of least-resistance when it comes to maintaining this relationship. It's a very cautious relationship. In part because I didn't have my 'voice' until now. I couldn't tell him what it felt like up until now because I didn't recognize it up until now.

I just know that I should have been more vocal in the past and that I should have told him what was going on before now. We can't change the past. The weekend was good. We talked a lot, I learned a lot about him but also my family and where I come from. More importantly, Eddie got to spend time talking to my dad one-on-one. They never really had that opportunity before.

We both know that it's going to take effort going forward. That we've got to be more active in keeping each other updated on what's going on in our lives. More importantly, we're going to spend more time together. Whether we meet half-way for the weekend or we go between each other's houses, we'll be spending more time together. I feel like a 100 ton weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I've said my peace and it's been heard. There is only forward now.

No comments:

Post a Comment