caged birdies

Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Social Bee

I have had quite the busy weekend, despite a few nights of insomnia. Friday, the hubs and I had hair appointments. Poor Eddie, he was all of 15 minutes, I was a good 3. Melissa, my new stylist has been really trying to lighten my hair and subtlely so that we don't fry my hair in one sitting. From there she puts in fine hilights and then we have the lowlites that best match the base color as we level down.

This was the first time in several months that I sat back and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. We managed to be her only clients that night so we just talked about all kinds of stuff. It was very relaxing and just nice to interact with like-minded people again. Plus, we were so close to home. Before we drove over 45 minutes to get our hair done. This time we were able to go out for dinner afterwards and still get home before 9:30.

I love that the salon uses Aveda products. They're all natural, they've really gone product by product and removed as much chemical as they can. And when they find that they can make something better they make those changes too. I don't smell or feel the color on my head. My hair has never been this shiny, soft and easy to manage. My cut is wonderful. If I don't want to do anything to it, I just let it air-dry. I can scrunch it with a small bit of curl creme and I've got great waves that stay. I just feel like my hair reflects what I wanted it to look like in my head. She LISTENS to not just me but Eddie - and it's not her idea. We both pull out the color samples and hair style pictures until we've got the right one. It's wonderful. Sometimes change, even when you don't think you need it, is a good thing.

And today, despite yet another night of not sleeping, I made myself get out of bed at noon (hey, don't give me crap - I went to bed at 5am!!)We played Mini Golf . . .I won! Which let me tell you, that seldom happens. I am the queen of 6s and up! I felt great afterwards so we walked around The Daniel Boone Homestead and I took some pictures as we meandered around. To top it all off, we called my in-laws who were watching our nephews this weekend. I was feeling so uncharacteristically great that I thought we'd all go to 'The Works' for dinner and games. 'The Works' is like a Dave and Busters type game place. The boys barely made it through dinner with anticipation.

We ran around the whole game room. I drove an 18 Wheeler, a job that I am now confirmed that I am not capable to do, fought ghosts and spaced invaders, fed lions and elephants and crocodiles, fed huge dogs their food, played skee-ball, rode jeeps, and played some mystery jackpot game. Don't you know Timothy got the jackpot? Over 600 tickets!! By the time the night was over, the boys had nearly 1000 points each. They were not interested in the 900 point toys. Well, the youngest was. Timothy wanted every 10 and 25 reward that they had. We finally worked it up that he got some toys for larger points so we were not there until midnight picking penny prizes. As we walked out we were invited to their next outing to 'The Works' by Timothy because 'Aunt Allyson is cool.' Oh did that make my night. . .

As much as I am huring from this big day and as much as I know I have not even begun to feel the repercussions, I had one of the greatest days in a long time. It felt good to get sun on my face and to move those muscles despite their cries to stay still. If I can push it, tomorrow we've got some shopping to do. I'd really like to keep going. I've got to push my limits and see how far I can go with this. What is too far? Though I doubt it'll be so cut and dry. One thing may let me do marathon shopping sprees, yet walking an entire day at Daniel Boone might knock me out for a week. But In owe it to myself, now that I have this time off, to find out what it is.

And as 1am rolls around and I complete this blog, I feel the blanket of sleep wrap around me. It's comfort pushing me gently to the bed. My eyes, for the first time in days are slowly closing. I think I will sleep and that I will sleep well. Something that above everything else today makes me the happiest.

1 comment:

  1. this is a beautiful post. I am so sorry that you have to deal with the horrible pain and discomfort of FM. I am glad that you are taking steps to try to live a happy life despite the pain. Stay strong and Carry on, my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete